What do you think about the new website?

• What do you think about the new website?

Posted by Oystein Baadsvik on November 3, 2022 at 3:38 pm

We are just getting started creating the best music membership site on the internet.
    Your opinion is important – so please share your thoughts, as well as wishes for what you would like to see in the future.

Oystein Baadsvik replied 1 year, 3 months ago 8 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • Profile photo ofoystein@baadsvik.com

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
    November 3, 2022 at 3:38 pm

This is a reply.

• James Gourlay

November 4, 2022 at 8:36 am

I think the new site is great and thanks for your work on it. If we could find a photo with some black or brown faces for the banner ‘this is ITEA’ it would give a more inclusive impression. Adding the facility to donate using ApplePay, PayPal and Venmo would also be useful.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
        November 4, 2022 at 8:44 am

Sure. What banner do you mean?

We will add those extra payment methods to the Donations

• James Gourlay

November 4, 2022 at 8:38 am

When we list the members of the Exec Committee at the bottom of the home page, could we have links to their photos and a very brief bio?

• Mitchell Goodman

November 4, 2022 at 12:11 pm

Hi! Just a couple of observations looking over, lots of good stuff! Very navigable and clean.

1. Can there be a Non-Binary option for gender on profile information?

2. On the public profile, perhaps better to have an email linked than a personal phone number?

3. On the events, filters with a dark blue background and black print, it’s hard to read. I have to hover over things to read what the filters are.

4. How do we create ads? I don’t see an option, although I’m guessing it might just be closed right now.

5.-Having photos and forums for events are great! Easy to make updates and you can provide maps and pictures.

6. For the professional network, there ought to be some form of vetting before a posting goes live. That way you can avoid a ridiculous number of fake or spam postings. I like the filter options to help narrow all of that down.

7. I enjoy the aspect of social media, a degree of it feels a little unneeded with the prevalence of social media nowadays, but this way there can be a professional resource to network without too much crossing of wires.

Nice work!

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
    November 4, 2022 at 1:56 pm

Hi Mitchell

Thanks for very useful input.

Some comments below your points.

1. Can there be a Non-Binary option for gender on profile information?

Yes, definitely. What should it be called?

2. On the public profile, perhaps better to have an email linked than a personal phone number?

This is up to you. You can select public/hidden for each field.

3. On the events, filters with a dark blue background and black print, it’s hard to read. I have to hover over things to read what the filters are.

This is getting fixed now.

4. How do we create ads? I don’t see an option, although I’m guessing it might just be closed right now.

Will make sure this is clear.

5.-Having photos and forums for events are great! Easy to make updates and you can provide maps and pictures.

6. For the professional network, there ought to be some form of vetting before a posting goes live. That way you can avoid a ridiculous number of fake or spam postings. I like the filter options to help narrow all of that down.

You must be registered an logged in to create a listing. There is a captcha check for registrations so I don’t think we will have lots of fake listings.

However, we will keep a close eye on it and start vetting if necessary!

7. I enjoy the aspect of social media, a degree of it feels a little unneeded with the prevalence of social media nowadays, but this way there can be a professional resource to network without too much crossing of wires.

We will see if it gets used! One thing is for sure, lots of our members prefer not to be on Facebook

• Profile photo ofdswobod

Deanna Swoboda

November 5, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Hi. Will Journals be searchable at some point? I noticed that I can search for a topic and it brings up a blog post about that topic. Is that related to the Journal?

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
      November 5, 2022 at 2:44 pm

Hi Deanna

All of the journal articles are now posts in the new website. When you search for posts you get results from all of the journals.

• Profile photo ofdtopping@mac.com

Dave Topping

November 7, 2022 at 9:26 am

Wow! What an amazing change. Thank you to all who worked so hard to create this. Sure, there is room for tweaks and improvements here and there. The suggestions listed are all wonderful. But I don’t think maestro Øystein’s comment is hyperbole. You DO have the potential of creating the best forum out there. (That will only drive an increase and membership.) Congratulations!

Question (Perhaps because it is in the news these days.): Will leadership create guidelines for content moderation in the forums? As a user, is there a way I can (besides politely responding) flag what is considered inappropriate content?

• Douglas Yeo

November 8, 2022 at 8:32 am

How does one access complete journals, including the current issue? I’d like to see a way to easily do this from the home page. When I go to the menu bar to “Resources” and click “Journal Archive,” and then search for Volume 49 (the current volume that has four issues), only two issues come up and they do not include the current issue. See the attached photo.I can’t find Vol 49, No 4 (summer 2022) – the current issue – anywhere. Also, when I click on a Journal issue after searching for one, I get only a few articles. This seems to be a step backwards. Can we get complete copies of the Journal back? This is important for scholars who want to cite articles and need page numbers. Making Journal access easy to find would be very helpful. Thank you.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
      November 17, 2022 at 11:34 am

Hi Douglas,

The complete Journals as PDFs will be added soon!

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
    November 8, 2022 at 10:31 am

Hi

Journal 49-4 is being uploaded this week. Pdf versions of all journals is coming up.

Meanwhile in a transition period you will find the old site here: archive.iteaonline.org

• Douglas Yeo

November 8, 2022 at 1:38 pm

I’m very happy to hear of these planned improvements to the Journal area on the new website. Thank you very much.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
        November 8, 2022 at 2:24 pm

We had to make the move slightly prematurely because of the ITEC registrations. That means some features are still under construction.

We will have most of the existing functions in place by the end of the year

Dave Topping

November 8, 2022 at 2:27 pm

I understand and hope others do too. This is an amazing advancement. All involved should be incredibly proud of this work.

• James Gourlay

November 8, 2022 at 3:27 pm

On the opening page there’s a photo ‘This is ITEA’ and there are only white folk in the photo.

Dave Topping

November 17, 2022 at 8:57 am

Would you consider adding the ability to add files (other than photos) to the Groups area? (My use case is a list of local musical groups for local Seattle players to explore.) I do realize there are security risks and challenges. If this is not possible, it is not a problem. I would just develop a practice to linking to a google (or some other cloud service) document.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
      November 17, 2022 at 11:36 am

This is already possible. In the group you can upload Documents. I believe that allows you to upload different types of files.

Dave Topping

November 21, 2022 at 9:41 pm

Thanks Maestro. I was having trouble before. I’ll give it another try.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
          November 22, 2022 at 9:54 am

Hi Dave,

It turned out you were right. It was not possible to upload documents to groups. But now it is!

Under Group Settings you can set who are allowed to upload documents.

Dave Topping

November 22, 2022 at 1:45 pm

Cool! Thanks!

• Profile photo ofChris-Combest

Chris Combest

November 21, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Looks great, love the style and clarity. Congratulations!

• Connor T Wilson

November 29, 2022 at 3:26 pm

I think that having your phone number and address available publicly by default is a bad idea. It should at the very least be set to private by default, and you can change that if you wanted.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
      November 29, 2022 at 3:45 pm

I believe that the email and phone numbers are not publicly available.
      Just like on the previous site, you must log in as a member in order to view this information.

And, only if the member has allowed the information to be available to other members.

Unless of course we have missed something in the development.

Can you post a link to where you found the information open to the public?

• Connor T Wilson

December 6, 2022 at 9:16 am

When you click on the profile of any member, by default you can see their phone number and home address. This is what it looks like on my page. I checked it with another person who is a member of my studio at my college, and I can see that their home address is right there where you can see it. I think that this is a dangerous feature, and mahouts be reverted.

• Connor T Wilson

December 6, 2022 at 9:17 am

I understand that you have to be logged in as a member to see these things, but I still think that this is something that should be looked into.

Oystein Baadsvik

Organizer
            December 6, 2022 at 9:49 am

Thanks for your input.
            Address and phone info is now hidden by default, and the member must enable it actively for it to be shown publicly.